The Calling All Choir is a San Francisco community singing organization led by founder and artistic director, Mark Growden. The choir brings together diverse voices in a unique experience that touches audiences and changes lives.
Our mission is to provide San Francisco Bay Area communities with a self-selecting choral group that performs works that are moving, challenging, beautiful, and often fun. Now in its 8th season, our choir includes seasoned professionals and devoted amateurs. Members range in age from 8 to 80 plus and readily share with each other the fun and experience for growing musically.
The Calling All Choir was named best choir in the 2015 Oakland Magazine “Best of the Bay” issue and performs throughout each season retirement homes, residential treatment centers, hospitals, and developmental disability programs. We also have a few special shows throughout the season with other choirs, cabarets, and other events.
We end each Season with Shows at the stunning Mission Dolores Basilica. Our performances, like our mission, are community focused;we invite our audiences to sing with us and join us for a concluding dance party.
Here’s an a list of some pieces we’ve performed in past seasons:
- Bogoróditse Djévo – Arvo Pärt – Estonia
- Panda Chant II – Meredith Monk
- Solfeggio – Arvo Pärt – Estonia
- Earth Song – Frank Ticheli
- La Martiniana – Arr. David Conte – Mexico
- Good Night, Dear Heart – Dan Forrest
- Barechu – Solomone Rossi – Italian Renaissance
- Pärismaalase lauluke (An Aboriginal Song) – Veljo Tormis – Estonia
- Anoj Pusėj Dunojėlio – Vaclovas Augustinas – Lithuania
- Bėkit bareliai – M.K. Čiurlionis – Lithuania
- Past Life Melodies – Sarah Hopkins – Australia
- Estrela E Lua Nova – Heitor Villa-Lobos – Brazil
- I Shall No More to Sea – Matthew Harris
- Tallis’ Canon – Thomas Tallis – Elizabethan England
- When that I Was and a Little Tiny Boy – Matthew Harris
- Alabama, Mississippi – Bessie Jones and Martin Luther King Jr. – The American South
- A Szeleknek Lengo – Hungarian Traditional
- Hamba Lulu – arr. Mike Brewer – Zambia
…and multiple compositions by our Artistic Director, Mark Growden
“What a fantastic performance. A bright & unbridled night!”
“I am so glad I was there to witness such a beautiful event! The feelings I had while listening were so heart-centered.”
There was a moment in the Spring Finales…when Mark gave us the signal to give it all. I was down in the front row so I heard and felt everyone behind do just that – give their all. Wow. I felt like the Grinch who Stole Christmas where my heart suddenly grew.
Unbelievably powerful – to be surrounded by a hundred singing voices. A rare and marvelous experience.